1. Fasting is the willful abstainance from natural pleasures (food, sex, etc.) for a spiritual purpose. It is a personal or cooperate commitment to renounce the natural in order to invoke the supernatural.
2. Fasting does not move God – It moves you. The essence of fasting is not to make God see your suffering (hunger) and answer you quickly out of sympathy so he won’t look like a heartless father – God has already done all he needs to do for you in Christ’s death, burial and resurrection. YOU CAN’T MANIPULATE GOD BY FASTING.
3. Fasting increases your spiritual capacity. It puts you in the position for God to use you. Fasting is a doorway into the supernatural; it is you playing your part in order to unlock the supernatural in your life.
4. Fasting increases your spiritual sensitivity. It quietens the voice of your flesh and amplifies the voice in your spirit. If you desire to hear God’s voice and direction for your life, go on a fast and put away every distraction. Acts 13:1-2
5. Fasting attracts spirits – including demons. It’s dangerous to fast without understanding and proper knowledge of God’s word. A lot of people have gone into extensive fasting and come out with demonic doctrines because they encountered an evil spirit in the form of an angel of light. As you fast, give serious attention to the study of God’s word. It will guide you away from error.
6. Fasting without praying equals a hunger strike. Fasting should enhance your praying. If you are fasting and not praying, you are wasting your time. Fasting is replacing your time with food and other pleasures with a time with God in prayer. Put off your data, turn off the television, put off every distraction and enjoy deep communion with God.
7. Fasting helps you deal with bad habits. The ultimate effect of fasting – especially a prolonged fast – is to bring your body under subjection to your spirit. Habits like pornography, masturbation, smoking, gambling, etc. which are sustained by the desires of the flesh can be easily broken during a prolonged fast.
8. If you’re going to engage in a prolonged fast, drink a lot of water. Drink not less than 8 glasses of water every day. Your body can not survive long without water.
9. A prolonged fast will help in purifying your body from toxins. It will flush out undigested food that has been in your stomach for months – and even years. It is also a very effective means of loosing unwanted weight.
10. As much as I encourage you to engage in a prolonged fast, I totally discourage you from fasting for more than 40 days. At that point, your body will begin to feed on itself. Even Jesus didn’t fast for more than 40 days, neither did Moses nor Elijah